mbpc is currently involved in the development of a suite of documents to provide a standard internally acceptable basis of cost comparison and valuation for railway engineering projects. This work covers the following draft documents:-
Rail Method of Measurement suite (RMM suite) – an integrated standard form of elemental cost analysis for railway engineering works, using a sequential method of measurement for works management
The analysis document is supported by an integrated progressive suite of documents covering the progress of a project from inception to the ultimate disposal of the asset; documents forming this suite are:-
- RMM – (Rail Method of Measurement( ) suite of documents
- Volume 1 – Approximate Estimating and Cost Planning
- Volume 2 – Procurement and Construction Quantities
- Volume 3 – Operational maintenance and Interventions
From the data gained by the use of this suite, mbpc has commenced development of a database which will form:-
- RCIS (Railway Cost Information Service)
In respect of Life Cycle Costs or railway assets, mbpc carried out research between 1998 and 2005 into the effect on the cost of maintenance brought about by:-
- The annual usage of the asset, (expressed in estimated gross million tonnes per annum) or
- Frequency of use and
- Frequency of asset repair, refurbishment or renewal
- Working with members of FIEC (Federation de l’Industrie Europeen de la Construction) [European Construction Industry Federation], mbpc is research alternative methods of construction delivery based on a fully insured and guaranteed method of construction.
- Funding of major infrastructure projects in the 21st Century.
For further details of all of mbpc’s research and development programme, including papers available for download, visit www.michaelbyng.com